After reading a post on another writer’s blog about how writers write, I got thinking about some of the tools we use to help us plan or keep track of our worlds and characters. Different ones work best for different people I guess but here are a few that have been mentioned to me:
- Index cards or similar stuck on the wall above the computer showing aspects of plot or character. Often colour coded.
- Maps of places or geography to help visualise and keep directions straight etc.
- Sketches of place or character (for those lucky enough to have the talent!)
- Schematics showing conflict arcs or romance arcs.
- World building software
- Plotting software (for tracking plot not creating it for you!!)
- Short stories based on a character from a novel to explore backstory and character.
- Tables showing where conflict or POV is by chapter.
I’m sure there are many, many more!